- 6-8 weeks before your trip make an appointment with the Travel Clinic
- Evaluate any special health needs and personal risks associated with your travel
- Understand how your health insurance will respond while you are abroad (Member Coverage Booklet and Student Handbook)
- Decide whether you need supplemental Health Insurance
- Learn about the UHC Global Travel Assistance program . Keep your UHC Global Travel Assistance card in your wallet or passport in the event of an emergency.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do when I prepare to travel?
In order to prepare myself for traveling, what resources should I be aware of?
What fees do I need to pay?
What should I do to prepare for my international travel?
- Plan ahead for international travel
- Call early for an appointment (6-8 weeks before you depart)
- Take steps to stay healthy while you travel
- Complete your health form before your appointment
- Register with UHC Global Travel Assistance
What do I need to do about my care when I leave Yale temporarily or permanently?
- Give your address change to the registrar of your college or school.
- If you have an ongoing medical condition, consult with your clinician(s) about a treatment plan.
- Obtain an adequate supply of prescription medications and supplies.
- Obtain updated prescriptions for vision care.
- Obtain copies of your immunization records.
- If you are going overseas, call the Travel Clinic 203-432-0093 to see if you need immunizations or other advance medical preparations. Visit the Travel Health page for more information.
- Transfer your records as soon as you find a new provider.
- If you have purchased Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care coverage, make sure you have an updated membership card.
I am a student and am planning on travelling out of the country. What do I need to do to prepare?
You should call Travel Medicine 6-8 weeks before you depart, as many immunizations are given in a series over time. The Travel Medicine Department is a fee-for-service department and their fees are not covered.