Yale Health

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do when I prepare to travel?

  • 6-8 weeks before your trip make an appointment with the Travel Clinic
  • Evaluate any special health needs and personal risks associated with your travel
  • Understand how your health insurance will respond while you are abroad (Member Coverage Booklet and Student Handbook)
  • Decide whether you need supplemental Health Insurance
  • Learn about the UHC Global Travel Assistance program . Keep your UHC Global Travel Assistance card in your wallet or passport in the event of an emergency.

What fees do I need to pay?

What should I do to prepare for my international travel?


  • Plan ahead for international travel
  • Call early for an appointment (6-8 weeks before you depart)
  • Take steps to stay healthy while you travel
  • Complete your health form before your appointment
  • Register with UHC Global Travel Assistance

What do I need to do about my care when I leave Yale temporarily or permanently?

You should:

  • Give your address change to the registrar of your college or school.
  • If you have an ongoing medical condition, consult with your clinician(s) about a treatment plan.
  • Obtain an adequate supply of prescription medications and supplies.
  • Obtain updated prescriptions for vision care.
  • Obtain copies of your immunization records.
  • If you are going overseas, call the Travel Clinic 203-432-0093 to see if you need immunizations or other advance medical preparations. Visit the Travel Health page for more information.
  • Transfer your records as soon as you find a new provider.
  • If you have purchased Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care coverage, make sure you have an updated membership card.

I am a student and am planning on travelling out of the country. What do I need to do to prepare?

You should call Travel Medicine 6-8 weeks before you depart, as many immunizations are given in a series over time. The Travel Medicine Department is a fee-for-service department and their fees are not covered.