Yale Health

Frequently Asked Questions

Are pre-entrance immunizations covered for students?

No.  It is strongly recommended that you receive all of your required immunizations from your healthcare provider prior to your arrival on campus.

I am a Yale Student and I could not get all of my pre-entrance immunizations. What should I do?

It is a pre-entrance requirement and it is preferred that they be completed prior to arriving on campus. If that is not possible they can be done in our Immunization Department, however all fees are the responsibility of the student.

Please be aware that you will be placed on “Health Hold” until all of your forms are complete and processed by our Immunization Department. You will not be allowed to register for classes until this obligation is met.

I have received BCG in the past. Do I still need a TB test?

Yes.  You still need a TB test, unless you had a previous Mantoux TB test that was positive with an indurated reaction of 10mm or greater. In that case, you must have documentation of a negative chest x-ray and be without symptoms.

How should the TB test be documented?

TB test reaction must be documented in millimeters and signed by a healthcare professional. The reaction must be read within 48 to 72 hours after the test is administered. We cannot accept a simple reading of positive or negative.

Does it matter what kind of TB test I have?

Only the PPD tuberculin 5 T.U. (Mantoux TB test) is acceptable. We do not accept multiple puncture tests such as TINE, Monovac and so on.

My blood titer result was equivocal or borderline. Do I need another immunization?

Yes.  Because we cannot accept borderline immunity, you will need another immunization to booster your immunity.

What is the difference between Td (Tetanus) and Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccines?

The Td vaccine protects you against getting tetanus and diphtheria alone while the Tdap vaccine also protects against pertussis (whooping cough).

As a child you were most likely immunized for pertussis. However, over time, that immunity wears out. By the time you are college age, you are most likely no longer immune to pertussis. Pertussis is a highly contagious respiratory illness that leads to more serious illnesses.

Which meninigitis vaccine should I get?

Only the quadrivalent type of meningitis vaccine is acceptable. It protects against four strains of the most common types of meningitis (A, C, Y and W-135). Acceptable vaccines include Menomune, Menactra and Mencevax.

Is it mandatory for students to receive the meningitis vaccine prior to entering Yale University?

All students living in on-campus housing (residential colleges and addresses listed on the vaccination form) are required by Connecticut state law to have the meningitis vaccination.  Only the quadrivalent type is acceptable.  

My doctor says I only need one measles immunization. Is that true?

No.  Connecticut state law requires documented evidence of two measles immunizations. The first dose must be given on or after your first birthday. The second dose must be given at least 30 days after the first dose and on or after January 1, 1980.

What should I do if my immunization records are lost or unavailable?

You should have blood tests called titers to show immunity to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox). If you are a healthcare professional, (School of Medicine, School of Nursing, P.A. Program) you will also need a quantitative Hepatitis B titer, a Mantoux TB test for tuberculosis and a tetanus vaccination.

Please refer to the vaccination forms for more detail.

What immunizations do I need to have to be enrolled at Yale University?

All incoming male and female, undergraduate, transfer, graduate and re-admitted students, regardless of age, must complete the appropriate vaccination form.

Please refer to the vaccination forms for required and recommended vaccinations.

What does "documented proof" of immunity mean?

Documented proof is a written record of your immunization dates provided by a high school, university, college, or doctor's office.

What are the common side effects from immunizations?

Prior to all injections, the nurse will provide you with a vaccine information sheet for all the immunizations you are about to receive. The most common side effect is soreness at the site of the injection.

If my physician orders immunizations for me, how quickly can I come to receive my vaccine?

You may come directly to the Immunization Department located on the 2nd floor of the Yale Health Center, on a walk-in basis, Monday through Friday 8:30 am-4:30 pm except Tuesdays after 12:30 pm.

Can I receive more than one immunization at a time?

Yes.  You may receive multiple vaccines at one time.

Should I receive an immunization if I have a cold or am ill with fever?

If you are ill with a mild cold, you may receive an immunization.  However, you should not receive immunizations if you have a fever.

What immunizations do I need as a healthcare worker for the University?

Healthcare workers at the Medical School and other clinical facilities should schedule a screening visit with Employee Health during their first two weeks of work to update their immunization status for the following vaccines or tests:

  • Tuberculosis testing

  • Hepatitis B vaccine

  • Measles/Mumps/Rubella vaccines

  • Influenza (flu) vaccine

  • Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine

  • Tetanus-diphtheria, adult Pertussis vaccine