Yale Health

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to choose a primary care physician?

A primary care clinician (PCC) is designated for you upon enrollment in Yale Health. If you would like to choose a different PCC, contact Yale Health's New Member Liaison Sharon Anderson at 203-436-9257 or sharon.anderson@yale.edu to review the list of available clinicians. 

Adult female members are assigned a PCC in the Ob/Gyn Department as well as the Department of Internal Medicine. Children are assigned a PCC in the Pediatrics Department.

Why should I schedule a new patient visit?

It is important to meet your primary care clinician (PCC) and begin a relationship.  Your PCC is the medical professional who will see you regularly and who will know you best. Yale Health believes that a close relationship with a primary care clinician plays an essential role in providing efficient and personalized care.

Your primary care clinician is at the center of a team of dedicated healthcare professionals who work together to serve you. Your primary care clinician is also your access point for specialty care.

How do I schedule an appointment?

You may schedule an appointment by contacting the department directly. Department phone numbers are available in the Yale Health Department Directory.

You may also use MyChart to request appointments.

When you activate your MyChart account, you will immediately be able to request appointments with your primary care clinician in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology. If you have proxy access for your child, you will be able to request an appointment with their primary care clinician in Pediatrics. Once you have an arrived appointment with a clinician in another department, you will be able to request follow-up appointments with that clinician.

How can I communicate with my PCC?

For non-acute problems we encourage you to use MyChart to communicate electronically with your PCC team. We will respond to your request within 48 hours, except when the office is closed. In addition, you can leave a phone message with our reception team.

How do I know if my drug is covered and what tier it is in?

Review the Yale Health Drug List on our web site.  The Drug List:

  • Provides access to quality medications
  • Promotes appropriate and cost-effective therapy
  • Provides clinicians with information relating to alternative therapies
  • Gives members information to help them discuss medications with their clinician

How can I transfer my current prescriptions to Yale Health?

If you have a prescription written by an outside clinician, you can either bring it to the Yale Health Pharmacy, have the clinician call 203-432-0033, or have the clinician fax the prescription to the pharmacy directly at 203-436-4251 (by law, faxed prescriptions can only be filled when faxed from a clinician's office directly).

You should call the pharmacy to confirm we received the fax from your clinician.  It's helpful if your clinician puts your date of birth on the prescription.

Please have your outside clinician refer to the Yale Health Drug List to ensure that your drug will be covered.

When you need renewals or changes to that prescription, you can schedule an appointment with your primary care clinician at Yale Health.

How can I have my medical records transferred to Yale Health?

You may have copies of your records transferred to Yale Health by filling out a Release of Health Information Form provided by the Health Information Services Department.

Mail or fax the completed form to the Health Information Services Department (address and fax number are found directly on the form).

Call the Health Information Services Department at 203-432-7741 or email yhmedicalrecords@yale.edu for more information. 

Do I need a referral for Specialty Services?

Yes. Referrals to the Specialty Services Department are for a specific problem identified by a primary care clinician (PCC).  Routine, non-emergency appointments are typically scheduled within four weeks.

What services are available through Magellan Health Services?

You and your dependents have access to a full range of behavioral health services as part of your Yale Health benefit, which includes treatment for stress, depression and anxiety as well as other mental health and substance use issues.

Magellan also manages Yale University's Counseling and Support Services (formerly known as the Employee Assistance Program). This service includes confidential, solutions-focused, brief consultation or counseling for all types of personal issues.

What should I do if I have an emergency?

If you have a medical emergency, call 911. When possible, call Acute Care at 203-432-0123 before going to the hospital emergency department.  When you call and let us know you are going to the Emergency Department, a nurse can follow up on your care and make sure that your primary care clinician knows as well. If you are unable to call before you go, be sure to call the Referrals Department at 203-432-7397 within 48 hours of receiving care.

Do I have coverage when I am out of state?

You are covered for emergency care when you are out-of-state.

An emergency medical condition is a sudden and severe condition, sickness or injury, including, but not limited to, severe pain, which would lead a prudent layperson including the parent or guardian of a minor child or the parent or guardian of a disabled individual possessing an average knowledge of medicine and health, to believe that failure to get immediate medical care could result in:

  • Placing one’s health in serious jeopardy
  • Serious impairment to a bodily function(s)
  • Serious dysfunction to a body part(s) or organ(s); or
  • In the case of a pregnant woman, serious jeopardy to the health of the unborn child.

Please review the Member Coverage Booklet for more details.

What is MyChart?

MyChart offers you personalized and secure online access to portions of your medical records. It enables you to securely use the Internet to help manage and receive information about your health. With MyChart, you can use the Internet to:

  • Communicate electronically and securely with your medical care team.  

  • Request medical appointments with preferences for day of the week and morning/afternoon timeslot.

  • View your health summary, problem list, and medications from your electronic health record.

  • Track personal health trends (such as routine blood pressure checks).

  • View test results (Note: some tests will be excluded to allow the clinician to review the results first, as they may need/want to review them with you).

  • Request prescription renewals.

  • Access trusted health information resources.

What if I am already receiving care for a complex medical condition?

The care management team can assist with managing conditions such as cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, and transplants. They can work with you to find community resources, make decisions on home care, and home nursing visits, and coordinate out-of-state emergency medical care. You can call Care Management at 203-436-5791.

What if I have questions about my other Yale benefits?

Email employee.services@yale.edu, call 203-432-5552, or visit www.yale.edu/benefits for information on all Yale University benefits such as retirement, commuter, tuition reimbursement, dental, and vision care.