COVID-19 Tests: PCR and Antigen (Rapid) Tests
Not sure which type of test to use? Read COVID-19 Testing: PCR or Antigen (Rapid) Test.
Yale Health spouses, dependents, and retirees covered by Aetna Medicare now self-schedule their COVID-19 test through Yale New Haven Health (YNHH). An order is not needed from your Primary Care Provider.
You MUST use this designated Yale Health scheduling portal, not the general scheduling link on the YNHH website. This will ensure that your results will come back to your Primary Care Provider at Yale Health.
Bookmark this scheduling portal link for easy access.
A new process for Yale faculty, staff, and students will begin August 8, 2022. Details will be shared in upcoming communications and posted on the Testing Program page.
From Yale Health as your insurance provider
Yale Health has developed two options for its members to receive at-home test kits at no cost:
Option One: No Up-front Cost Pickup at Yale Health Pharmacy – At-home test kits are covered for Yale Health members at no cost through the pharmacy benefit. To utilize this option, members are required to complete this online request form. The pharmacy will process orders so that tests can be picked up by noon the next business day. Please note that this option is largely dependent upon the availability of home test kits for purchase by Yale Health Pharmacy and may be subject to change based on stock.
- NOTE: This option is not available to Medicare patients or students who waived Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty coverage, however, tests are available for purchase at the Yale Health Pharmacy.
Option Two: Reimbursement - Yale Health will cover the purchase of over the counter, at-home COVID-19 antigen (rapid) tests without cost sharing during the COVID-19 public health emergency. A prescription or clinical assessment from a health care provider is not required. To utilize this option, follow this process:
- Purchase an EUA-authorized at home COVID-19 test kit from a retailer.
- Retain your receipt.
- Submit for reimbursement by completing this COVID-19 At-Home Test Claim Form. These claims will be processed through our Magellan Rx Management pharmacy network.
- Yale Health will reimburse up to $12 per test for up to 8 tests per 30 days per covered family member. For example, if you purchased a box of 2 test kits from a retailer (e.g., Amazon or CVS) for $24 and submit your claim you will receive $24. If you bought a different box of 2 test kits for $35, you will still only be reimbursed for $24.
Examples of EUA-authorized at-home COVID-19 tests include, but are not limited to:
- BINAXNOW COVID-19 AG SELF TEST
- CARESTART COVID19 AG HOME TEST
- ELLUME COVID-19 HOME TEST
- FLOWFLEX COVID-19 AG HOME TEST
- IHEALTH COVID-19 AG RAPID TEST
- QUICKVUE AT-HOME COVID-19 TEST
Guidance for other groups of patients who are not covered by Yale Health:
- Students who have waived Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care coverage should seek reimbursement from their primary insurance provider.
- Medicare patients looking for tests at no cost can do so through pharmacies or health care providers that can bill Medicare Part B. You may need to provide your red, white and blue Medicare card. For more information, visit the Medicare website or call 1-800-MEDICARE (800-633-4227).
- University employees who have Aetna or outside coverage will need to seek guidance and reimbursement from Aetna or their outside insurance carrier.
*Please check back often as the procedure and options are subject to change.
Updated September 7, 2022