Yale Health

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I have been exposed to blood or body fluids in my job?

Employees or students who sustain a needlestick should immediately call Yale Health for care  (Employee Health Department 203-432-7978, Student Health 203-432-0312, or Acute Care 203-432-0123). It is important to begin any recommended treatment within 1 to 2 hours after exposure.

If the exposure occurs at the Yale-New Haven Medical Center and the employee or student wishes to be seen on site, he/she should report to the Occupational Health (7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday) at 203-688-2462 or to Yale-New Haven Hospital Emergency Room at 203-688-2222 if the episode occurs outside of regular daytime working hours.

Please note the University Office of Environmental Health and Safety should also be informed in addition to scheduling an appointment with Employee Health.

What types of employees need to contact Employee Health for medical evaluation for the job?

This service is provided to employees who are identified by the University Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEHS) as requiring special medical evaluation due to exposure to potentially hazardous substances or to fulfill regulatory requirements.


  • Respirator users

  • Hearing Conservation Program participants

  • Animal handlers

  • Researchers working with certain infectious agents

What immunizations do I need as a healthcare worker for the University?

Healthcare workers at the Medical School and other clinical facilities should schedule a screening visit with Employee Health during their first two weeks of work to update their immunization status for the following vaccines or tests:

  • Tuberculosis testing

  • Hepatitis B vaccine

  • Measles/Mumps/Rubella vaccines

  • Influenza (flu) vaccine

  • Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine

  • Tetanus-diphtheria, adult Pertussis vaccine

What should I do if I get hurt on the job?

An employee who has an accident on the job must first report it to his or her supervisor (unless a true emergency exists).

Employees with a work-related injury are encouraged to call the Employee Health Department to arrange an evaluation.

Employees needing immediate treatment may be referred to the Acute Care Department; otherwise they will be given a time to be seen in the Employee Health Department.

Supervisors must complete an online Online First Report of Injury Form, which will be sent to Worker's Compensation and assigned a claim number.

Employees with injuries must get the claim number from their supervisor and bring it to their appointment in Employee Health.

An employee with an old injury which requires additional treatment should first contact the Worker's Compensation office to determine where they should be treated.

How can I get a sit-stand workstation in my workspace?

Requests for a sit-stand workstation, or any other office equipment, should be made by the employee to their direct supervisor. Decisions to implement should be made at the department level.

All employees are encouraged to incorporate establishes techniques and healthy habits to reduce discomfort associated with sitting for long periods of time. This includes:

  • Standing up to stretch or change positions frequently, planning to stagger work at the desk with other work that involves standing, walking down the hall, filing, copying, etc.
  • Taking walks during breaks, lunch, and time off to promote overall physical activity.

 Employees who feel their workstation is set up incorrectly can contact Environmental Health & Safety at (203) 785-3550 to request an ergonomic evaluation from their respective EHS Advisor. EHS recommendations do not authorize the purchase of specific equipment.

Employees who feel their medical symptoms are caused by their occupation should report to their supervisor and ask that a First Report of Injury be filed. An appointment can then be made in Employee Health for a medical evaluation.

Employees who feel their medical symptoms are related to personal health conditions unrelated to their work should schedule an appointment with their PCC for evaluation for their medical condition.

Rare cases of serious and permanent disabilities would be addressed by the department supervisor, working with the Office of Disability.